Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite Message Board

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Shania, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church to headline Tortuga Music Festival - April 14-16, 2023


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:
RE: Shania, Kenny Chesney, Eric Church to headline Tortuga Music Festival - April 14-16, 2023


Here is "When". Sounds pretty rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsAgZQmNk0



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:

with Romero Britto
shania-tortugamusicfestival2023-romerobritto1 shania-tortugamusicfestival2023-romerobritto2
https://www.instagram.com/romerobritto

with Iza Bel Araujo
shania-tortugamusicfestival2023-izabelaraujo
https://www.instagram.com/missizzybela/



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 278
Date:

Tommy wrote:

Here is "When". Sounds pretty rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsAgZQmNk0


I clearly must be missing something, because I don’t get what’s ’rough’ with the sound of her voice. She is singing in a lower key. The video quality is poor And you can tell there are some engineering issues based on some of the other songs … 

and people wonder why she takes so long between albums and tours 🤣 she’s beat up over everything.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 243
Date:

I also don't hear anything wrong in the "When" video or any of the videos for that matter. She has a deeper voice now and cannot go as high. I think she sounds great considering what she went through.

__________________

Shania gets us good!



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:

schnetzka wrote:

I also don't hear anything wrong in the "When" video or any of the videos for that matter. She has a deeper voice now and cannot go as high. I think she sounds great considering what she went through.


You guys really can't hear she is very off-key??? Especially with her "treeeeeeeeeeees", "agreeeeeeeeeeeeees", "peeeeeeeeace" and "guaranteeeeeeeeeeeeee".



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 243
Date:

Tommy wrote:
schnetzka wrote:

I also don't hear anything wrong in the "When" video or any of the videos for that matter. She has a deeper voice now and cannot go as high. I think she sounds great considering what she went through.


You guys really can't hear she is very off-key??? Especially with her "treeeeeeeeeeees", "agreeeeeeeeeeeeees", "peeeeeeeeace" and "guaranteeeeeeeeeeeeee".


It really doesn't sound that bad to me. It has vibrato so she must be doing something right. It's definitely not like before her vocal troubles but yeah, sounds fine to me overall.



__________________

Shania gets us good!



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 278
Date:

schnetzka wrote:
Tommy wrote:
schnetzka wrote:

I also don't hear anything wrong in the "When" video or any of the videos for that matter. She has a deeper voice now and cannot go as high. I think she sounds great considering what she went through.


You guys really can't hear she is very off-key??? Especially with her "treeeeeeeeeeees", "agreeeeeeeeeeeeees", "peeeeeeeeace" and "guaranteeeeeeeeeeeeee".


It really doesn't sound that bad to me. It has vibrato so she must be doing something right. It's definitely not like before her vocal troubles but yeah, sounds fine to me overall.


 
its really isn’t that off key, particularly for a live performance 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32
Date:

Not gonna say anything critical other than I agree with Tommy.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32
Date:

Don’t be upset about some of us not liking her live voice because it’s the recordings that live on. So as long as she sounds great there (and she does) that’s all I care about.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:

"Waiter! Bring Me Water!" & "When"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dm-8dGnbF8

"Queen Of Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e2p6EWspIk



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

I don’t think these are too bad. Can only have respect for doing it live. The timing just seemed off every now and then, basically because she was grasping for air (poor thing 😢).

I do hate some people pushing the storyline on twitter and IG that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol because she couldn’t finish some sentences and words. It is because of her vocal surgery that it’s hard to hit some sounds.

I think by being on stage regularly during the tour that her voice will become stronger and stronger. And if she chooses to go back to backing tracks, so be it. I’ll enjoy the dates I’m going nevertheless ❤️

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 243
Date:

She's damned if she does and she's damned if she don't. If she lip synced some people will say that she should just retire because you should only be an artist if you can sing live well. And if she's singing live and wasn't perfect like recent performances, you would also get people saying she should retire because she doesn't sing like she used to. It really is a lose / lose situation for her. In the end, as long as she is happy then it's fine.

__________________

Shania gets us good!



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 86
Date:

I heard she sang a few covers. Has anyone heard any clips?

__________________

"Find your self-esteem and be forever free to dream" - Shania Twain



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 67
Date:

In my opinion the main problem it’s that she’s not ready for big tours . I think she should do little places , like theatres or music places like this , not festivals or big concerts , maybe a more intimate concert with a good group of backing vocalists could help her, her voice out of the studio it’s not good , sometimes it’s better to know your limits.

When people pay 70-80$ or more for her concert and got this voice sound will get so disappointed and she cannot gave a totally full concert prerecorded

And putting this “new” tracklist it’s interesting because she’s actually singing some old songs never performed but that need less voice , it’s a good choice because when she sing ballads or songs with more effort she does not arrive to the sound

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:

shaniafan28 wrote:

I heard she sang a few covers. Has anyone heard any clips?


Me & Bobby McGee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqFK9AZ1_18

Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhoJepN9GI
 



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Date:

Ive been very critical of her voice in the past but I think she sounded good here. Her voice is not the same as it used to be, it is what it is. I think she has some days that are better than others. As I said before, I think there were some issues with the sound engineering here too. Her last mostly live tour was the Rock the Country tour in 2015, and I think she sounds better here than she did 8 years ago. She has much more control now. She still has trouble with very low and high parts of the songs and maybe should add a little playback in these parts of compensate for that.

I agree with the one earlier comments about smaller concerts vs. a big arena tour. I think she shines with just her guitar and minimal distractions on the stage. I like her much better without all the costume changes and dancers.

I can't wait to see what she sings on the tour and if there will be more surprise songs.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 29
Date:

We are all super fans. Some of us follow Shania since the beginning we know everything she went through, and we are super glad she's even touring and releasing new music.

With that in mind, I am a bit worried with what's in some of the videos. I hope there was an issue with the sound of this concert that we are not aware off. Also the person that is recoding is singing, it's difficult to really get the concert sound.

The last 3 times I saw her live concert (Las Vegas in C.Palace - 2013, in Brasil 2018 and Now Tour in the Netherlands 2018) her voice was super fine. Although we could see some pre recorded parts it was not harming the performance.

Not sure when the last surgery was done. If after or before Now Tour, and how much it may change her live performance.

Hope that you guys, who will be able to see her in the North American leg of the tour, can give a better review. ☺️

Cheers



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Date:

Marco from Brazil wrote:

We are all super fans. Some of us follow Shania since the beginning we know everything she went through, and we are super glad she's even touring and releasing new music.

With that in mind, I am a bit worried with what's in some of the videos. I hope there was an issue with the sound of this concert that we are not aware off. Also the person that is recoding is singing, it's difficult to really get the concert sound.

The last 3 times I saw her live concert (Las Vegas in C.Palace - 2013, in Brasil 2018 and Now Tour in the Netherlands 2018) her voice was super fine. Although we could see some pre recorded parts it was not harming the performance.

Not sure when the last surgery was done. If after or before Now Tour, and how much it may change her live performance.

Hope that you guys, who will be able to see her in the North American leg of the tour, can give a better review. ☺️

Cheers


The Now Tour was over 99% prerecorded I would say. Almost all of it was lipped. She used the same track for You're Still the One for the Still the One Vegas show, Rock this Country tour, and Now tour. She also used the original album version for the ending of MIFLAW. It was very obvious. I read somewhere she that had surgery a few weeks before the tour started. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:

Inhale/Exhale AIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5k-6iO23H4

Don't Be Stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diY3x1CObas

"From This Moment On", "Nah!" & "She's Not Just A Pretty Face"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6MeZMuZH4A

Life's About To Get Good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdEtxHj9nIA



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Yeah she did indeed have the surgery right before the NOW tour, which I think explains why it was 100% prerecorded. She was wearing a scarf at the Today show to hide her scar a few weeks before the tour started.

I think the mix of prerecorded and live in Vegas (Caesars Palace) was her best since the UP era. You could hardly tell, because it was subtle. The friend that joined me wasn’t even aware until I told her.

Last Saturday ‘Don’t be stupid’ was her best live effort tbh.

__________________
mkk


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 48
Date:

LJ-R wrote:

Yeah she did indeed have the surgery right before the NOW tour, which I think explains why it was 100% prerecorded. She was wearing a scarf at the Today show to hide her scar a few weeks before the tour started.

I think the mix of prerecorded and live in Vegas (Caesars Palace) was her best since the UP era. You could hardly tell, because it was subtle. The friend that joined me wasn’t even aware until I told her.

Last Saturday ‘Don’t be stupid’ was her best live effort tbh.


 i agree that is the best practice - reasonable mix of pre-recorded live + live. Right now she is somehow overconfident. when I watch her clips of the festival, she cant handle the super low keys.

not many people are like us, they bought tickets to see her to perform, not to see how happy she is.

we have to be a little bit realistic. If she continues to perform like this in the rest of the tour, we have to admit that no one will watch her concert again.



__________________
Hello from the other side


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32
Date:

mkk wrote:
LJ-R wrote:

Yeah she did indeed have the surgery right before the NOW tour, which I think explains why it was 100% prerecorded. She was wearing a scarf at the Today show to hide her scar a few weeks before the tour started.

I think the mix of prerecorded and live in Vegas (Caesars Palace) was her best since the UP era. You could hardly tell, because it was subtle. The friend that joined me wasn’t even aware until I told her.

Last Saturday ‘Don’t be stupid’ was her best live effort tbh.


 i agree that is the best practice - reasonable mix of pre-recorded live + live. Right now she is somehow overconfident. when I watch her clips of the festival, she cant handle the super low keys.

not many people are like us, they bought tickets to see her to perform, not to see how happy she is.

we have to be a little bit realistic. If she continues to perform like this in the rest of the tour, we have to admit that no one will watch her concert again.


I agree—my first reaction while watching these clips was that nobody wants to go to an expensive concert to see someone fighting for her life to get a note out. I love that she’s a fighter and continues to plow ahead despite hurdles but you gotta give them a show and not more reasons for people to talk about how or when the voice was damaged/operated on. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:

Paul wrote:
mkk wrote:
LJ-R wrote:

Yeah she did indeed have the surgery right before the NOW tour, which I think explains why it was 100% prerecorded. She was wearing a scarf at the Today show to hide her scar a few weeks before the tour started.

I think the mix of prerecorded and live in Vegas (Caesars Palace) was her best since the UP era. You could hardly tell, because it was subtle. The friend that joined me wasn’t even aware until I told her.

Last Saturday ‘Don’t be stupid’ was her best live effort tbh.


 i agree that is the best practice - reasonable mix of pre-recorded live + live. Right now she is somehow overconfident. when I watch her clips of the festival, she cant handle the super low keys.

not many people are like us, they bought tickets to see her to perform, not to see how happy she is.

we have to be a little bit realistic. If she continues to perform like this in the rest of the tour, we have to admit that no one will watch her concert again.


I agree—my first reaction while watching these clips was that nobody wants to go to an expensive concert to see someone fighting for her life to get a note out. I love that she’s a fighter and continues to plow ahead despite hurdles but you gotta give them a show and not more reasons for people to talk about how or when the voice was damaged/operated on. 


Right. The average person is not a Shania fanatic who loves her no matter what. Most people who attended this year's Tortuga Music Festival say Shania's set was the worst of the weekend. If this was a precursor of how the tour is going to be, she will get ripped city to city.



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 29
Date:

Let's hope for a pre recorded set with a great performance , maybe some great graphics to help with the final result. Tickets are so expensive now a days.

After listening to that complicated "When" version, I got into Spotify to listen to this song again. Man! That's one of my all time favorites.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Date:

I just love that she doesn't care what people think anymore. She is being her own "Queen of Me". She looked like she was having so much fun singing Inhale/Exhale AIR. "This is my celebration song!"

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 32
Date:

Eh. If anything, backup singers sound out of key and not very good. I wonder if they couldn't hear themselves? The tour will be much better and the sound will be tighter.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

There are moments she sounds great, but I think there were issues with her in ears or the monitors, because the timing is completely off sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiZfh82N090



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

And AMEN to not having MIFLAW as closing song this time round (hope it stays that way haha).

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Date:

LJ-R wrote:

There are moments she sounds great, but I think there were issues with her in ears or the monitors, because the timing is completely off sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiZfh82N090


 Agreed, in several videos I've seen both Shania and her backup singers kept touching their ears implying there was an issue with the ear pieces. Also something was wrong with her mic/ear piece controller (don't know what the technical term for this is) and Cory came over to fix it before Inhale/Exhale.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

She points at it for instance right before she had to start signing You're still the One. And Corey indeed came to the rescue with a technical guy once. Sad for her when stupid things like that go wrong.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 17244
Date:

Thank You Baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChEQuZ10DW0



__________________

Tommy's #1 SHANIA TWAIN SuperSite
shaniasupersite.com

Our eyes are closed, but we're not asleep, We're wide awake beneath the sheets



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

I was at the Tortuga Festival and can confirm that there were sound issues on stage as well as in the audience. The kick drum was too loud and overbearing at times. I just uploaded some video clips on YouTube. Shania was amazing! Yes, she lowered some of the keys, but that’s totally understandable. She sang live and looked great!

https://youtu.be/PcRNLodcnmw



__________________
Valerie Nasko


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 278
Date:

Thank you for sharing! Great to hear from someone who was actually at the show! Glad you enjoyed yourself!!

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Date:

Thanks for sharing! She sounds and looks amazing! ❤️

__________________
«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard